Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Manny, Manny, Manny

Ever since I was a kid, I have this great fascination on money. You heard it right. Money. The very powerful papers and coins that rule our world in so many ways. Money, also called dough, cash, bills, bread, bucks, loot, dinero, moolah and other money synonyms that you might not even heard of. Of course I got those synonyms from my trusty friend Urban Dictionary! (OK. If you do not know this awesome site then go look for your old dictionary and throw it away now.) Even Merriam-Webster got bitch-slapped by Urban Dictionary. Haha! Nah. I'm just messing with you. I still use you once in a while old dictionary buddy!

Going back to the topic, I like money! But not I-like-money-because-I-am-so-greedy-I-want-to-own-the-world type of I like money. Instead, I like money as an object that can be a collection; not money as wealth. Well, I like it too but that's not the point! Money amazes me how every currency looks so complicated with every little detail imprinted or engraved on it. Now, I haven't seen much currency in my life. In fact, usd (United States Dollars) is the only foreign currency that I see from time and time. And those dollars are not even my dollars. How I wish.

Ang Bagong Lipunan (Marcos' Regime) 100 Peso Bill (Front)

During my elementary days, my classmates and I would always go around asking other classmates if they could spot particular objects that are in some way hidden on different bills. I don't know about you but the famous ones I could think of was this cat in the 10 peso bill (somewhere in the Barasoain Church) and the ghost of Manuel Quezon, or so we usually say, in the 20peso bill (standing in some window looking at you). It's cool how people notice those kinds of little things.

I don't know how it started. I mean this fascination about money. Maybe, it's because my mother dear has been working at the bank and even before she would usually show me money stuff like new released bills and special bills that I find fascinating every time.

Ang Bagong Lipunan (Marcos' Regime) 100 Peso Bill (Back)

One Sunday morning, I went to Greenhills Shopping Center in Ortigas with my girlfriend and her mom. We were going around looking at stuff of all sorts. While they were looking at clothes, I wandered a few stalls away and found this interesting spot. It was full of old/antique stuff from the 70's, 80's & 90's and surprisingly there were lots of currencies from various nations but the Philippine currency got most of my attention because I thought I was looking at new versions of our money today. It turns out it were from Marcos' time.

The images above is a 100 peso bill that I bought for 120 php. Will you look at that, I bought money. Sounds fair eh? Haha. The whole collection is priced at 470 php including 2, 5, 10, 20, 50, 100 and 500 peso bills. It looks real nice and go take a look, Manuel Roxas looks younger.

Other stuff:
  • The old man selling his collections reminds me of Channing Tatum's father in Dear John (2010 film).
  • I got the blog's title from Kimmy Dora (2009 film).
  • The 100 peso bill above has an old BSP logo.
  • I have some UP Centennial and BSP 60 years edition bills.
  • Medium: There is a BANGKOSENTRALNGPILIPINASBANGKOSENTRALNGPILIPINAS... in your 100.
  • Difficult: There is a CENTRALBANKOFTHEPHILIPPINESCENTRALBANKOFTHEPHILIPPINES... in your 500.
  • Edited: There is a similar bill feature in your 200 and 1000! (Special thanks to Esrael Santillan for this!)
  • Go take a look!

1 comment: